Introduction to a Keto Diet Plan
Are you acquainted with the notion of a ketogenic diet? It is an eating plan aimed at improving a person’s well-being through the change in his/her metabolism prompted by the replacement of carbohydrate based body fuels with fats. The products of fat metabolism are called ketones, hence the name of the diet plan. The process that constitutes the basis of fat metabolism – ketogenesis – shifts your body into a state known as ketosis. Nutritional ketosis shouldn’t be mixed up with ketoacidosis, which is a serious – and even life-threatening – condition caused by the body’s inability to make or process insulin in a proper way. Ketoacidosis is accompanied by dehydration and blood sugar spikes, while ketosis is a fully normal metabolic way your body uses to convert ketones into energy. Ketogenic diets are known to be an effective part of complex diabetes, epilepsy, autism, Alz’s, and cancer therapy. However, you cannot start one without consulting your physician first, because some health conditions like kidney or heart problems are contraindications to shifting to a ketogenic diet.
If you’ve consulted your doctor and been given a green light to start your keto diet, follow this Introduction to a Keto Diet Plan:
- 1. Count your carbs with the help of special tools available online in order to follow your carb intake closely and see if you are doing everything correctly. You can also have an online spreadsheet or simply keep a paperback journal to record the foods you are eating, your well-being and the changes you were able to notice.
- 2. Clean out your cupboards and fridge shelves to remove foods loaded with carbs (including whole grain complex carbs).
- 3. Make a list of allowed low carb products and restock your kitchen. Forget about “unnatural” processed foods; artificial sweeteners, however, are preferable as they produce a smaller negative effect on ketogenesis.
- 4. Get ready to spend more time in the kitchen. It is important that you eat freshly cooked natural foods. If you can’t call yourself an amateur chef yet, here’s a great Italian-style recipe of Keto Stromboli you can start with!
- 5. Plan your meals in detail: from choosing low-carb recipes to buying all necessary ingredients to prevent yourself from going off the keto course.
- 6. Work on your habits. Stop dropping by tempting coffee places, start having breakfast at home. And don’t forget to have your coffee with eggs, not bagels. However, it may be hard to deny yourself the pleasure of cramming up your mouth with warm baked goods! We’re hurrying to your rescue with this breakfast recipe of Keto Chocolate Brownie Muffins!
- 7. Watch your water. The drop in carb intake forces your kidneys to start dumping the excess water your body accumulated because of previously high consumption of carbohydrates. Remember to drink enough water to substitute for the quick loss. The ideal amount is 6 to 8 glasses of liquid per day; however, it is probably enough to drink water every time you feel thirsty.
- 8. Check if you are in ketosis by applying special reagent strips. It is a good way to see if you got adapted to your new keto diet. However, tracking your individual ketone levels on a more advanced stage of your keto diet is much more effective.
- 9. Find a way to resist temptations. You will find yourself in numerous situations where you will be tempted, if not forced, to eat in the old, high-carb way. Remember that from now on you’ll have to associate beer with salad and steak, not with crisps or nachos.
- 10. Don’t focus on your weight. Put up with the fact that your weight will be fluctuating unpredictably due to the change in water consumption and absorption. Tuck your scales away to prevent yourself from jumping on them first thing in the morning. Instead, take them out once a week or take body measurements to keep track of your progress.
- 11. Finally, harness your craving for sugar. Find out the techniques you can rely on until you have kept your body in ketosis long enough – with time, the state becomes an effective appetite suppressor.
Now that you are equipped with every useful keto diet tip for beginners, hurry up to consult with your doctor and start with item 1 to progress all the way down to item 11 and to improve your well-being!